I'll walk where my own nature would be leading: It vexes me to choose another guide. (Emily Bronte)

06 December 2008

Not a Drawing But Had to Share


An ivory tower is a fine place as long as the door is open.
~~Darby Bannard

Had to share this with you. Just had to --

Two firsts in our garden.

This is the cactus we call Mr. Big. Now, we've had this cactus for five years. Five years. Doesn't do anything but grow straight up. Cut it off, it makes two branches that grow straight up. Thick. Tall. Its about going on three feet tall this year. I think of it as old reliable.

Well, wonder of wonders, Mr. Big flowered this year for the first time -- at midnight! So, I rushed out in my pajamas to take pictures of Mr. Big's first ever flowers. Straight from the garden to you.


The other first is our lemon tree. We've been nursing this tree along for a year or so now.

Lemons take several months to mature -- longer if the neighborhood kids pick them off and throw them at each other when you're at work ... which is what happened to the last lemons the tree tried to grow.

Since we moved into our house (and brought the tree with us), the lemon tree is trying to grow lemons again! Here's a picture of its first effort. If all goes well, the lemon will be ready to pick in February. In Israel, the tree can put out lemons year round so hopefully, this will be the first of many.

As for art work, I made a kind of ah ha realization. I have an old set of computer speakers (with an amplifier) which I plugged into my CD player. Now I have music in my studio -- I wanted to try this without spending money before I go looking for a stereo system. Music plus my computer chair (which is incredibly ugly but also incredibly comfortable) makes the studio my favorite place to be.

Time flies away now when I'm there ... and I got two projects done for my art course (homework). Also did another EDM challenge but I need light to photograph, so I'll add that in the morning.

4 comments:

Trish said...

Hi, I read your comments about the Moleskine dedication and then visited your blog. You do such intricate work. The painting that the cat walked on, what medium is that?
I really like your drawings for EDM, keep drawing and posting.
You should post to the group so they can all see your wonderful painting.

Margaret Ann said...

What a beautiful bloom...Is your cactus of the night blooming cereus variety? Gorgeous! :)

We have a ton of lemons this year..last year ZERO...odd how that happens isn't it? :)

Sarah Ketelaars said...

stunning photo of the cactus - love it.

Timaree said...

Great photo of the cactus. Living in the desert we have lots of cacti but I haven't noticed anything blooming at night except for some gourds.

I'd love to have a lemon tree and an orange tree but it freezes in the winter here.

Good show on getting lessons in art going and working on them too!
My mother was always concerned about pursuing something that would earn money too.